In 1905, August Keipe built and operated the first year-around hotel in Green Lake (Dartford at the time), WI as a combination boarding house and saloon. Many of the occupants were workmen who roomed there while working to build the Lawson Estate, which is now part of the Green Lake Conference Center. Not long after completion of the hotel, Mr. Keipe sold the building to Mrs. Ida Polensky, who had been operating a boarding house out of her home and needed more space. Mrs. Polensky served breakfast and dinner to the workmen, and even packed their lunches to carry to work each morning. At the same time, Ida's husband, H. Rudolf Polensky, along with their three sons, owned and operated a local painting business, which eventually took over part of the hotel building.
In the early 1940's, one of Ida and Rudolf's sons, Herbert Polensky and his wife, Bessie, became sole owners of the family painting business. It was at this time that the building was no longer used as a hotel, and eventually became known as "Polensky Decorating Shop" owned and operated by Herb and Bessie's daughter, Ann (Polensky) Sandelback and her husband Murray.
In 2002, the hotel's ownership came back into the hands of a member of the Keipe family when Chuck Mirr, August Keipe's great-great nephew, and his wife Lynn Mirr purchased the building. Choosing to maintain the history of the building, the Mirr's decided to continue running the local paint store as well as restore the Green Lake hotel with the integrity and details of when it was built 100 years earlier. In 2012, the Mirrs sold the painting business and opened HomeGrown, a local foods market, in the lower level of the building. The Keipe Hotel continues to operate all year round as the perfect Green Lake lodging property for families or groups.